Gregory Hardy – Biomaterials Engineer
- Ph.D. Candidate, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science – Duke University, Durham, NC (2009-present)
- B.S., Biomedical Engineering – University of Rochester, Rochester, NY (2003-2007)
- Intern, Blood Compatibility – ST. JUDE MEDICAL, St. Paul, Minnesota (June – Sept. 2012)
- Research Technician, Cardiovascular Rheumatology – MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL, Boston, Massachusetts (2007 -2009)
- Intern, Cell Biology and Cancer – ALBANY MEDICAL CENTER, Albany, NY (May – Aug. 2005)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology – Karlsruhe, Germany (Nov. – Jan. 2012)
- Flinders University – Adelaide, Australia (June – Sept. 2011)
FELLOWSHIPS AND GRANTS
- National Institute of Health (NIH) Exploratory Research Grant, R21, Co-Author with adviser ($260,000, 2012)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Collaborative Research Travel Grant ($7,500, 2012)
- Structural Biology and Biophysics Graduate Fellowship (Sept. 2011 – Sept. 2012)
- Graduate Fellow – National Science Foundation’s East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes Fellowship ($10,000, June – Sept. 2011)
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences Biotechnology Predoctoral Training Grant (Sept. 2009 – Aug. 2011)
- Visiting Research Scholarship: Karlsruhe House of Young Scientists (Karlsruhe, Germany) (2013)
- Best poster presentation – Kewaunee Senior Graduate Award (2013)
- Best poster presentation – Duke Center for AIDS Research (2012)
- Kewaunee Student Achievement Award – Center for Biomolecular & Tissue Engineering (2011-2012)
- American Vacuum Society: Dorothy M. and Earl S. Hoffman Travel Grant ($300, Oct. 2011)
- Honorable Mention – National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship (2009 & 2010)
- Hardy GJ, Nayak R, Zauscher S. Model cell membranes: Techniques to form complex biomimetic supported lipid bilayers via vesicle fusion. Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci. In press (2013).
- Hardy GJ, Nayak R, Alam S, Shapter JG, Heinrich F, Zauscher S. Biomimetic supported lipid bilayers with high cholesterol content formed by α-helical peptide-induced vesicle fusion. J Mater Chem. 22 (37), 19506−13 (2012).
- Hardy GJ, Lam Y, Stewart S, Anasti K, Alam S, Zauscher S. Screening the interactions between HIV-1 neutralizing antibodies and model lipid surfaces. J Immunol Methods. 376 (1-2), 13-19 (2012).
- Kristo F, Hardy GJ, Anderson T, Sinha S, Ahluwalia N, Lin A, Passeri J, Scherrer-Crosbie M, Gerszten R. Pharmacological inhibition of BLT1 diminishes early abdominal aneurysm formation. Atherosclerosis. 210 (1), 107-13 (2010).
- Barth M, Ahluwalia N, Anderson T, Hardy GJ, Sinha S, Alvarez-Cardona J, Pruitt I, Rhee E, Colvin R, Gerszten R. Kynurenic acid triggers firm arrest of leukocytes to vascular endothelium under flow conditions. J Biol Chem. 284 (29), 19189-19195 (2009).
- King V, Lin A, Kristo F, Anderson T, Ahluwalia N, Hardy GJ, Owens A, Howatt D, Shen D, Tager A, Luster A, Daugherty A, Gerszten R. Interferon-gamma and the interferon-inducible chemokine, CXCL10, protect against aneurysm formation and rupture. Circulation. 119 (3), 426-435 (2009).